Attempt #6: Origami

Origami Background:


I don’t have any background when it comes to making origami. I don’t think I’ve ever made one in my entire life but considering that I can barely fold a piece of paper in half without the sides being uneven, I don’t think I’ll be very good at it. I’m also terrible and pretty much every form of art so we’ll see how this turns out.

My Prediction:

I have very low expectations for how my crane is going to turn out. My guess is that my crane
will look like a crumpled up paper ball by the end.

The Process:

Marie Elise's crane (orange) and my crane (blue)
My friend Marie-Elise lived in Japan for 3 months in middle school and used to have an origami set which she used to make all types of different animals. Throughout this blog I’m just going to call her the crane master because I definitely could not have made my crane without her. First, we had to get origami paper from Stella (thanks Stella!) and then we were ready to begin. The first couple of folds weren’t too hard but it got steadily gets harder. There were many points where the crane master had to repeat the same direction to me 8 times or just do the fold for me because it was so hard!! I’m so happy the crane master was there because there’s no way I could have followed a video. I messed up and folded the wrong part so many times. Meanwhile, the crane master  made hers with ease and then went on to make other animals like horses and cats.

The Turn Out:

Marie Elise's horse

With the help of the crane master, my crane turned out way better than I expected. Although I definitely didn’t do it all by myself, I’m proud of some of the difficult folds I was able to do. It took me a little while and a lot of help but I’m very happy with how my crane turned out.



What I Learned: 

Marie Elise (AKA Crane Master)
I learned that origami is not my thing and something that I probably won’t ever do alone but it’s really satisfying when you get it right. It also made me appreciate people who make origami or other paper animals because it’s super hard and takes a lot of skill.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempt #2: Drawing

Attempt #3: Gymnastics

Attempt #1: Cooking