Attempt #7: Knitting

Knitting Background:  

I've only knitted one other time in my life and it was at a Martin Luther King Day service event. Basically, there were a bunch of different activities you could choose from and one was knitting caps for babies in a homeless shelter. I thought this sounded like a great idea so I went in and the instructor tried to teach the class a couple stitches but I was so confused. About ten minutes in, all the ladies around me were halfway done with their caps and I was still on my second stitch so I ended up leaving and going to a new activity.

My Prediction:

I think if I have a good teacher and I'm able to learn one on one I'll be able to get a couple stitches in. I think they'll look pretty wonky and not really come out to anything but I think overall I'll be able to do a few stitches.

The Process: 

For this challenge I had Stella teach me the steps. Stella has been knitting since she was 8 years old and she can knit extremely fast. When she was first teaching me how to do a stitch, it made zero sense. I kept going through the wrong gaps and looping around the wrong piece of string. Luckily, Stella was super patient with me and she showed me very slowly how to do it and pointed out what I was doing wrong. I kept going and after my failed stitches, I actually got one right!

The Turn Out: 

Once I kind of figure out how to do it Stella had me do a row by myself. It was pretty rough and super loose but I was very proud that I was actually able to finish a row. Meanwhile, Stella was already halfway done knitting an entire blanket.

What I Learned: 



I actually really enjoyed knitting! At first, I really didn't like it and I thought it was impossible but once I got the hang of it it was actually super relaxing and rewarding once my row was finished. Who knows, maybe I'll try it again someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempt #2: Drawing

Attempt #3: Gymnastics

Attempt #1: Cooking